Spirite of BC Committee / Games Legacy Task Force
Task Force Purpose:
The overall purpose of this Task Force is to provide for effective liaison and consultation between the City of Port Moody, the community, and the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Organizing Committee to develop Port Moody's participation in events related to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
The Committee will provide advice and recommendations in the following areas:
- Priority areas identified by Port Moody City Council: 1) the Recreation Centre Expansion & Renovation Project; and 2) the City of the Arts; as well as other priorities that may be identified by the Olympic Task Force;
- Participation of the City of the Arts as a host for events during the Cultural Olympiad;
- the City's ice arenas and Recreation Complex as a host for pre-Olympic training camps and familiarization trips, practice venue during the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, and pre and post-Olympic and Paralympic Tournament venue;
- pursuing funding for expanding the City's Recreation Centre 2nd ice sheet to Olympic size;
- promotion and marketing of the City of Port Moody;
- opportunities for youth to participate in sport, active living and culture;
- enhance volunteerism in the community and raise community spririt;
- post Olympic legacy.
The Task Force will be comprised of the following appointed pursuant to the Council Committee system policy:
- Council Representative
- Three representatives from Sport Community, at least one of whom will be from the Paralympic/Disabled Sports Community
- Two representatives from the Arts and Culture Community
- Two representatives from Business Community
- One representative from School District 43
- One representative from the Community at Large
- appropriate staff members will assist the Task Force as required.
Rules of Procedure:
Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the rules of procedure set out in the Council Procedure Bylaw and Committee System Policy.
Activation and Disbandment:
The City of Port Moody's Games Legacy Task Force will be in place, operational and functional by June 23, 2004 and will be disbanded upon completion of a post-Olympic report to be presented to Council in September 2010.
Note: this task force was previously named the "2010 Olympic Task Force"